I finally found some time to update my news section.
Given the situation, I've been able to make several versions of each piece of my new solo guitar album and to choose between them. But I decided not to include the Bach's Presto in it. It would be available as a bonus, maybe on my website or my BandCamp page if not released with a label.
Instead I composed a new piece, "A Short Story About Gravity", which will give more homogeneity to the whole.
Yang is still blocked with the recording of "Designed for Disaster", due to the lockdown and curfew in France.
In another hand, I will perform with e - w e r k as an electric guitar trio on May 18th 2021 at the BKA Theater in Berlin. There are alas! big chances that it will be a live stream.
Wow! everything has been so chaotic since March that I never had time to update my news section.
Of course all concerts have been cancelled but it actually allowed me to complete my solo guitar album. 12 tracks: 5 Etudes for electric guitar, 3 variations, 3 solo electric guitar pieces and a version of J.S. Bach Presto from the Violin Sonata BWV 1001.
Still a bit of work on some pieces but it should be released before end 2020.
On the other hand, the release of the 4th Yang album "Designed for Disaster" has been postponed, the studio had to close during summer due to the virus, then the lockdown in France made the recording impossible until next year. The recording should resume in 2021.
The release of the album will not occur before spring 2021, even later, but it has taken a very interesting turn...
- 2020 will see the release of Yang's 4th album Designed for Disaster*.
Recordings have already begun but we are still not sure about launching a crowdfunding campaign again or searching a label.
We are currently looking for an idea of design for the album, not something too obvious but still heavy and dark...
* About the meaning of the title: it seems obvious now that we are genetically programmed to take, as a species, the worst decisions possible for our own survival.
- The solo album Only Solo Guitar is on good tracks but will take time as I am working on refining the interpretation of all these solo guitar pieces (without looper or overdubs), some of them never having been made public in any way.
Some others can be listened to, as live versions, on my Youtube channel (to which you are warmly welcome to subscribe of course!)
Things are getting done...
- The composition of Designed for Disaster, the next Yang album, is now completed: 11 tracks (9 songs and 2 Interludes) over 60 mn of dark, desperate, cataclysmic, but sometimes hopeful, lively and encouraging music.
We meet with the band beginning December to give reality to these sounds and talk about the realisation of the album. Crowdfunding? Label? Online distribution only (I don't like that idea...)?
- I just published this week the last solo album of 2019, Mornings. It is a double album (106 mn), but available only online at the moment on Bandcamp.
Mornings is a selection from a succession of improvisations for guitar and loopers performed between March 3rd and April 14th 2016.
The principle was to take my guitar every day during this time first thing in the morning, without warming up and without any idea of what was going to happen.
Some of the improvisations performed during this time (none of this selection) became pieces for Yang or for my other solo albums.
- I also updated my Soundcloud page, as an overview of all my music (except my bands)
- Yang hasn't meet for a while, our few concerts being cancelled due to the surgery of my right wrist, but I have almost completed the composition of our next album: Designed for Disaster which should be released in 2020.
And we started applying for festivals around the world.
- After The Empty Room, released in May, I released in July, but online only, Campanologie, a collection of experiments around my piece for guitar quartet Etude Campanologique n°3. On Bandcamp only.
- The big score writing for my friend is over, 320 pages for an opera. Exhausting but very interesting!
- Starting a new work for a new friend: Jean-Philippe Rossi, who composed a gigantic piece mixing different music styles. Inside: a guitar quartet that he asked me to perform. Name of the piece: In the Name of... Name of the guitar quartet: The Father.
- I couldn't resume yet the composition for Yang because of all that work, but hopefully by end August.
- We had to cancel our participation to a festival due to a problem on my right hand. I shoud have surgery soon. Not a big deal though...
April - May
Too many things happened these last months. Didn't have time to catch up with my news page!
- I decided to help a friend with a big work he couldn't undertake: writing the score of an opera by David Coleman: 350 pages for orchestra and singers to deliver in July. Exhausting but it helps me to improve my writing on my music editing software.
- Releasing my 9th solo album, The Empty Room, which happened on May 22nd. Very happy with the result, musically and visually! And hand-making all the other solo albums for backers (around 30)! and some concerts too!
- Huge amount of work to do for promoting it. On schedule.
- Resuming with the composition of the next Yang album.
This month starts the crowdfunding campaign for my next solo album: The Empty Room, but I didn't choose the platform yet.
Mixing should be complete in early April and the release is planned for June 2019
Preparing the next Yang rehearsals in April: 5 pieces for the new album, to be released in 2020...
2019 will see the release of at least two of my five ongoing projects :
The first one, very dear to me, is the solo album « The Empty Room », that I started to compose a long time ago as a tribute paid to deceased people whom I cherish. It has been a long process, as since 2010 I lost almost every year someone close to my heart. These eleven titles are inspired by leaving, grief, loss and the Chinese idea of respect paid to ancestors.
I am now in the process of finding the right cover art for this release. I want it to be a perfect match with the music and the name of the album.
The digital release of "Sketches for Images", 15 short pieces related to visual arts and mixed by Markus Reuter (Stick Men) is on bancamp.
It is now possible to listen to and buy all my solo music on my Bandcamp page.
November - December
Invited in Moscow on December 14th with Steppe Scape. Can't wait to meet all these wonderful people again!
September - October
- Yang concert in Nice, on October 3rd as support of Tony MacAlpine and Stuart Hamm. It was great to play in our town, many friends were there, and we enjoyed the concert very much.
- Two new songs for the next Yang album are at work.
- I am also resuming the work on the solo album The Empty Room. Starting to work on mixing.
- A lot of new students in Berlin. Nice to meet all these new people!
Volodia, Yang's drummer had surgery on his right knee. We had to cancel our concert at the festival Rock au Chateau.
Crescendo festival was great! We met old friends and made new ones.
May - June
- Preparing Yang's concerts in August: Aug. 4th at 17:30 Rock au Chateau: https://www.rockauchateau.fr/programmation-2018/ - Aug. 18th at 19:00 Crescendo festival: http://festival-crescendo.com/prog-2018/
- Sketches for Images is completed. Should be released as an album in 2019. For the while available to streaming on SoundCloud:
- Happy to be part of the wonderful project Steppe Scape at the Spirit of Tengri festival in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Big success, great moments and new friendships!
- Working on new videos of my solo music. The next one: Sans Réponse, from the Philharmonie album "The last Word". To be released on YouTube in June.
March - April
- I started live recordings of some of my solo pieces that have never been played on stage. The 1st one, Etude N°1 for plectrum guitar, is now on Youtube
- The project "Panik im Spektrum" is born. It will be a series of performances of new music and rock pieces performed by a rock band.
- New songs for Yang sound great! But we have to prepare for our 2 festivals in France (see below).
- Thanks to Markus Reuter I will be performing in June in Kazakhstan with Buryat, Kazakh and Tuva musicians. Markus (touch guitar) and Merlin Ettore (drums) will be my fellow European musicians of the show.
2018 - January - February
- Starting to think about a new composition in which I will build a mobile architecture interlocking Rock feelings sounds and pulses with Contemporary Music structures and texture developments. It could be an "Etude Campanologique n°4".
- Sketches for Images is at work. Very happy about the first mixings by Markus Reuter. On platforms like Audiojungle, Pond 5 and Soundtradr, but free streaming on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-laspada
- Four pieces composed for the next Yang album. Our 1st meeting of the year will occur in April to start rehearsing them.
- Yang will play in 2 festivals next summer:
Rock au Chateau on Saturday August 4th at 17:30 https://www.rockauchateau.fr/programmation-2018/
Festival Crescendo on Saturday August 18th at 19:00 http://festival-crescendo.com/prog-2018/
November - December
- e - w e r k concert at Kunstquartier Bethanien, Berlin on Friday November 9th. Electric Attack #4 "Untergrundnetz mit Sternenlicht" - Soundcollage/Improvisation/Microtonal - E-Werk last concert of the year
- First songs for the next Yang album completed
- Starting to work on adapting the (maybe hundreds of) ideas from my recent and old archives for media (images, films, broadcast of any kind)
September - October
- Concert of Shylock at ProgDay, Chapel Hill NC. on Sept. 3rd at 17:00
- Starting the composition of the next Yang album
- e - w e r k concert at Akademie der Künst, Berlin on Thursday October 20th at 20:00. Electric Attack #3 "Aceton" - Some very difficult but beautiful pieces on the program
July - August
- Yang concert at Sommer Musik Fest - Knüllköpfchen - (Bad Hersfeld) - Germany on July 30th 2017, 22:00
- Resuming rehearsals with Shylock. And a few days rest at Laurent's villa!
May - June
- Yang concert at the Wabe, Berlin on Thursday May 25th.
- "The Failure of Words" is now on ITunes, Spotify, Deezer, CDBaby. Nice reviews on http://yanggroup.fr/tfowreviews.html
March - April
- Release of the DVD "Yang at the Blue Star"
- e - w e r k concert at Kunstquartier Bethanien, Berlin on Friday March 24th. Electric Attack #1 "The Sroke that kills" - Rock oriented new music
- e - w e r k concert at BKA Theater, Berlin on Tuesday April 25th. Electric Attack #2 "Stars & Bells", new music (We perform my piece "Etude campanologique n°3")
2017 - January - February
- Release of "The Failure of Words" by Yang, mixed by Benjamin Schäfer and Markus Reuter, produced by Markus Reuter and myself. Very happy with the result.
- A concert in Berlin planned for Yang. Maybe in May.
August - September
- Crowfunding campaign for "The Failure of Words" launched! http://pledgemusic.com/yang
- Photos of the Bruno Mendonça piece "Le Livre Interdit" (the forbidden book) which will illustrate the album's cover will be made by François Fernandez
June - July
- On July 15th at 21h Yang performs at the Studio Blue Star in Nice. The concert will be recorded and filmed for a DVD.
- Starting the recording of "The Failure of Words", the next Yang album. In the same time recording and filming a video for a fundraising for this project.
April - May
- Playing with nightingales in Berlin parks during the night of 27th and 29th with David Rothenberg, clarinet and Lembe Lokk, voice (on 27th no audience, only birds and us for a film)
Some new projects started since the begining of the year:
- A new "Frames" album with looper/delay and very few electronics
- A duo guitar/touch guitar, only improvisations until now but very promising
- A new version of my piece for 12 electric guitars and 12 strings, Regard Circulaire après Eblouissement, planned for 2017.
October - November
- On Saturday Nov. 14th will be premiered my new piece for 4 electric guitars: Etude Campanologique n°3, at the Klangwerkstatt, Festival für Neue Musik in Berlin. It will be performed by the e-guitar quartett E-Werk.
- La Fin du Rêve again on Stage with the duo Brilling-Mahnken at Intersonanzen festival on October 3rd.
August - September
- My last piece for solo classic guitar, Divergence, will be performed by Erich Schachtner at the Chilli Jazz festival in Graz (Austria) on Sept. 25th.
- Must complete the new Yang album demo. Holidays are not the best time... but men are at work!
June - July
- A new composition for e-guitar quartet at work: "Etude Campanologique n°3". First try last Sunday with e-werk: It could be the one that we will play at Klangwerkstatt Festival...
- The duo Brillings Mahnken performs "La Fin du Rêve" my piece for electric guitar and accordion on July 4th.
- First solo concert at Quiet Cue in Berlin on June 27th. Very nice evening, lot of fun playing there!
- Starting rehearsals of "Layered Winds" my last work for 4 electric guitars with e-werk. Sounds nice, we might perform it in November 1015 at the Berlin Festival Klangwerkstatt.
April - May 2015
- Composition for the next Yang album completed: 9 pieces
Recording of the entire demo to be done before summer
- 1st solo performance planned for end of June. Maybe only two pieces, Reich's e-guitar phase and Twists and Turns
Feb. March 2015
- New version of "Ostinatos", called now "Twists and Turns", conception of a new "Frames", starting to plan solo concerts.
- Working on a piece by Sidney Corbett "Detroit Rain Song Graffiti" and "I Kick My Hand" by Nick Didkovsky.
Nov. Dec. Jan.
- Working on new Yang songs and seen a lot of excellent concerts in Berlin: Annette Krebs, Samuel Blaser, Bernhard Meyer Quintett and so many others!
- Working on Steve Reich's Electric Guitar Phase
- At last! My new solo e-guitar piece, "Ostinatos" is finished.
- Now back to new songs for Yang
- Interesting work as a performer : "Tablaturas espaciales", a piece for 11 guitarists and 55 guitars by the composer Osvaldo Budón. Microtonal tuned guitars hanging from the ceiling of a church.
- Working on Yang mixes, finally, we decided to record the demo with all the songs of the album.
- Adding some tracks to the Yang demo and composing some new material for the next album.
- Continuing the composition of a solo e-guitar piece, started in 2011!
- What a wonderful moment at Baja Prog with Shylock! An enthusiastic audience, a kind and efficient staff, lots of fans, and some amazing new friends!
- At least the Yang demo is completed! Now searching for a nice label to release it.
- Leaving end of the month to Nice for the last rehearsals with Shylock before our concert at Baja Prog on April 5th.
- Three days of mixing with Shylock, first musical meeting with Luca. Great moments!
- A few dates planned for Lobotonics in Berlin end of May!
- Recording Shylock "Best of", mixing starts on Feb. 7th. Didier Lustig finally withdraw, Luca Mariotti replaces him as keyboard player. A lot of work in perspective...
- Yang demo for the new album in progress, "crispy jazzy"?
- First rehearsal with a new combo: voice, baglama, e-guitar.
- Working on my guitar studies, hoping to be able to record them soon! And finishing the production of my next solo album "The Empty Room" (and no more "the hollow place"). Hoping to invite some guests to play on it!
Nice meeting with a key player and a sax player. I could perform some gigs with them and Daran (bass player)
Good news! Shylock will play at Baja Prog Festival in Mexicali on early April 2014
Already found a good (though very young) bass player for my new Berliner band, now in search of a drummer...
Get the first date for The Lobotonics in Berlin: May 24th 2014
Several 10 hours long rehearsals for the e-werk concert at the Intersonanzen festival at Potsdam on Sept. 13